Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Terra Nova Series Review

 

Ah, yes. Yet another Fox show to get cancelled before it's time. That is the fear with watching new shows any more. Do you take the risk and get invested in a new show or do you miss out and join in after it aired for a season or two? Easy choice for me, I enjoy marathons. I find it fun to immerse yourself into a new world and get lost for a while. So yeah, I will miss out on the community experience of talking about a show after it was initially on but I don't care. Still, I find myself in that "getting burned" area. I had put off watching Terra Nova for a while, for reasons I'll get into later, and now it was finally on Netflix. So I add it to my instant queue and proceeded to forget about it. After watching several other shows, I came back to it and decided to give it a shot.

Dude, dinosaurs and time travel. Ten year old me would be all over this shit! Older me is skeptical, he's been hurt before. Now, I think to much, because I didn't want to watch it. Not because I thought it looked awesome. No, I had to watch it to see why they would do that. The trailer talked about a future destroyed by man and it's pollution. But they found an answer, and it was 85 million years in the past. I just stared blankly at the screen confused. In 137 years into the future they can time travel? The world has gone to shit, you develop time travel and not space travel? You use time travel to go into the past to start a new? So much brain hurt. Gotta watch it to make the pain stop.

It starts in the future, 2149. Our lead family is the Shannons; Jim, Elisabeth, Josh, Maddy, and Zoe. Jim is a cop who is breaking a law with his wife, they had a third child when there is a law limiting people to two children. And when the police come by to do a population check (Census of the Future!) they find their third child despite their best effects to keep her hidden. Jim (Jason O'Mara), plays the dad, punches out one of the cops and gets arrested. Two years later his wife has been selected to take part of the Terra Nova project and can only take 2 people with her. She visits Jim in prison and gives him a laser cutting tool hidden in gas mask because that air is like trying to breath in a White Castle bathroom, just bad news. So he gets free, finds a duffle bag his wife left for him with supplies for him to break into the place with the time portal. He gets in, meets up with his wife and kids. They exchange bags, and he makes a run for the portal before they can stop him because in his new bag is their daughter Zoe.

This seems like a bit much. Why have a third kid in this shit world? These people are the problem with the world. Having to many kids and thinking the rules don't apply to them. They are going to fuck up the new world. Not to mention you are suppose to believe this guy is just capable of pulling this off. So they get there and the Shannons don't get in any trouble for the shit they just pulled. Not even a slap on the wrist. Ok. Terra Nova is a military run site with Commander Nathaniel Taylor (Stephen Lang) running things. Think they would do "something." Here is where you get a little history. Apparently they found a rift in spacetime back in 2149. After sending one prob back and not finding it they determine that it has to be an alternate time line. Also, they have no way of getting back because the rift only works one way but they have people working on it. The alternate time line is also their explanation for why none of the dinosaurs are like the one we have found, but they never say that. 

I could go into detail about every part of this show but frankly, I don't feel like it. And I feel it would spoil too much. I liked this show. I mean, it had quite a few stupid plot points, empty bad guys, and holes that could sink a battleship but over all enjoyable. I liked the family and the show made me cared about them. The effects were ok, but believable. The show takes a while to gain traction and when it gets going the only thing slowing it down are those plot holes which are head scratchers. With all those issues, I can see the reason why this show got cancelled in the first place. So you should give it a shot as well. It's fun, smart in places, and overall entertaining. Just don't get too attached and want an ending that answers any questions. This is a 2 and a half stars but again, using that Netflix rating, I can't. But a 2 is to low, so I'm going to round up and give it a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment