Friday, September 27, 2013

Movie of the Week: Now You See Me

"An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull of bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with money." IMDb

Ok, I love magic...especially card magic.  I've studied it for years, and have practiced for untold hours.  I like practical tricks with real decks and real sleight of hand.  Or, if it's stage magic, I like seeing it because you have an idea of how it's done, but you're not absolutely sure, and that's why it's great.  The movie The Prestige was the perfect representation of this.  That movie would get a 5 star rating from me all day long.

Then we have this piece of shit...

I'm gonna be brief here cause I really don't feel like spending all day telling you why this movie is terrible, why it fails as a working plot, and so on and so forth.  I just want make one gripe and then I'll shut up about it.  You can't show me how certain practical tricks are done, and make that part of your plot working things out cause it's all a big magic trick...and then in the same scene show me tricks that are completely and utterly impossible and are clearly just movie special effects.  "Oh look this rabbit was in the box the whole time cause, check out this mirror that made the box look empty!  Now I'm gonna turn the rabbit into a hat and float away in a cgi bubble."   Fuck you.

The only reason this is getting 2 stars out of me is because it had a good cast, and the movie was visually appealing.  However the rest of the movie I find pointless and frankly kind of insulting, especially given the ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment